Thursday 13 February 2014

Curtis Brown Creative - 1

I have been fortunate enough to secure a place on The Curtis Brown Creative Six-month Novel Writing Course, co-tutored by Louise Wener and Anna Davis. I thought that it would be a good discipline to try and post a regular blog as the course progresses to share my feelings about the experience.

I would stress at the outset that this endeavour might yet prove to be fraught with difficulties. Writing any form of blog whilst working within a group setting immediately raises a few issues about openness and honesty. I therefore have to state that this will be an entirely personal view of my experiences and I will do my utmost to be positive and respectful throughout.

The course includes fifteen authors writing across a wide range of genres and each at different stages within the writing process. Some have largely completed their current works-in-progress whilst others are just setting out on the journey. The thing that struck me about the group as a whole was the shared sense of passion about the writing process, and the professionalism that each author appeared to bring to the table [apart from the table itself, which is currently missing from the Curtis Brown boardroom!].

For me it was quite a daunting first evening as we went round the group, each conducting a very brief pitch of our novels. So many strong ideas. So clearly presented. My carefully rehearsed pitch went completely awry. Lesson number one – better preparation.

Even at this early stage there seems to be a real sense of camaraderie amongst the group. The second session included a critique of the opening chapters from the unlucky three members who were selected for this dubious privilege. However I was delighted that the feedback around the group to Brad, Amy and Anna was so positive. The criticisms when due were presented in a supportive and constructive fashion. It made me feel slightly less nervous about presenting my own opening chapter.

Last night’s session was a visit by ex-CBC student Sarah Sykes accompanied by her CB agent Gordon Wise. Gordon had sold Sarah’s debut novel “Plagueland” to Hodder and Stoughton and it will be published in the autumn. I thought that it was a stroke of genius to have the first visiting session being an ex-student who had recently gone through so many of the struggles that we are all currently grappling with as fledgling writers. I found Sarah inspirational, practical and realistic. Gordon was also an excellent speaker and he gave an eloquent account of hearing Sarah’s first reading and being captivated by her novel. Rufus also did a great job of chairing the evening and teasing out some great stories from the two guests.

So overall my first impressions of the course have been overwhelmingly positive. Both Louise and Anna seem well-prepared and enthusiastic, and I am looking forward to my first tutorial with Louise in a few weeks’ time.  I will aim to post a further blog after that tutorial to see whether I still feel as positive and inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment