Monday 2 June 2014

"The Sixth Lamentation" by William Brodrick

This intelligent novel examines the consequences of secrets and lies from the past and their emotional resonance to the present.

It follows two main narrative threads that slowly intertwine. The first concerns Father Anselm, once a barrister, now a monk, and the suspected war criminal Eduard Schwermann who claims sanctuary at Anselm’s priory. The second thread follows terminally ill Agnes Aubret who decides to reveal the secrets of her war-time exploits to her Granddaughter Lucy. Agnes had once been a member of an underground brotherhood who smuggled Jewish children to safety from occupied France until the group was exposed and betrayed by a young SS officer: Eduard Schwermann. The two parallel investigations into the shadowy events of the past begin to collide and intertwine with compelling consequences.
It is a remarkable debut novel and Brodrick deftly juggles a labyrinthine plot which is full of complex moral ambiguities. His writing is extraordinary; he moved me to tears on more than one occasion and his narrative revelations caused me to gasp aloud.
I’m now looking forward to reading his other novels. I had the opportunity to hear him speak at a Polish Crime Night at Belgravia Books in Victoria recently, organised by Magda Raczynska of The Polish Cultural Institute. William shared a platform with another of my literary heroes, Anya Lipska, author of “Where The Devil Can’t Go” and “Death Can’t Take a Joke”. William spoke eloquently about the craft of writing and the importance of truth. I rather wished that I had read The Sixth Lamentation prior to hearing him speak. Hopefully by the time I have the opportunity to hear him speak again I will have read the rest of his canon.
In the meantime I would urge you to read this wonderful, wonderful novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment