Saturday 10 March 2012

Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash

I went to see Martin Turner’s Wishbone Ash last night at The Boom Boom Club in Sutton, a great little venue run by a wonderful promoter called Pete Feenstra. I’ve been to see Martin and the boys about three times a year in various venues since Mart decided to tour again back in 2005.

As ever the band were superb and played a great set including a host of old Wishbone classics. Astonishingly it’s forty years since the release of “Pilgrimage” and the guys played The Pilgrim last night as an acknowledgement. They still play a good selection of tracks from “Argus” including Sometime World, The Warrior, Blowing Free and my personal favourite Throw Down the Sword. Great additions to the set last night were Lady Jay from There’s The Rub and Front Page News from the 1977 album of the same name.

Ray Hatfield and Danny Wilson do a fantastic job on the twin lead parts, and their understanding is almost telepathic. It may seem almost sacrilegious to say it but I think they are nearly as good as Andy Powell and Ted Turner, although Andy and Ted actually wrote the parts, which probably gives them the edge. Martin’s voice still sounds great and his bass playing is awesome, particularly on FUBB, Persephone and Living Proof. Given that he’s 66 now his energy is an inspiration. I had a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat during Persephone, which I still think is one of Martin’s best and most ambiguous lyrics.

It was great to chat with Martin after the show and he autographed the cover of my old vinyl copy of the first album from back in 1970….one that will never find its way onto eBay!

They are playing at the Central Theatre in Chatham in a fortnight’s time with Curved Air as support with Sonja Kristina, which should be good. I’ll be there again, smiling broadly, and re-living my teenage years. Who says nostalgia is old hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment