Tuesday 6 March 2012

Ten novels I wish I'd written.

As an idle diversion I’ve listed ten novels that I wish I’d written (not quite the same as my ten favourite novels although some of these titles would make both lists!). So in no particular order: -
  • Damage – Josephine Hart.
  • The Magus – John Fowles.
  • The Owl Service – Alan Garner.
  • The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • High Fidelity - Nick Hornby.
  • TAG – Stephen May.
  • if nobody speaks of remarkable things – Jon McGregor.
  • Sin – Josephine Hart.
  • The Bridges of Madison County – Robert James Waller.
  • To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee.
Now I fully appreciate that it’s an eclectic list, but these things often turn out that way. Equally I’ve probably got twenty other titles that could be on there (Twelve, The Crow Road, Red Dragon, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, etc., etc.).

So what links this bizarre and random collection of novels? Well I suppose the common thread is that they all made a connection with me, and I was blown away by the breadth of their invention, the strength of their ideas and the sheer brilliance of their writing.

So there’s an aspirational group of novels to read again!

No comments:

Post a Comment